Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

#2: 'Tis a Silly Play

Spamalot!

Before I get into this post I need to offer five (three, sir!) three disclaimers.
1.) Technically, T and I saw this back on January 31st. Yes, I'm a slacker. We've been over this. (On a side note, have I told you the one about how procrastination is like mastur......um....nevermind. I should probably save that one for another time. I wouldn't want to offend anyone, now would I?*)
A.) I should probably cite the title to avoid being reported to the principal for plagiarism. So, thanks Emily via Aunt Jean.
i.) I promised my mom roommate that I would give her some kudos, since the whole ordeal was her idea. So here it is: Kudos Mom.


Whew... now that I've got that out of the way, let's get to the main event shall we.

T and I (and my parents roomates, and aunt and uncle) saw our first show since kicking off of the list. We caught the matinée performance of Spamalot, on the "It's Only a Flesh Wound Tour", at the Fox Performing Art Center, and our seats were quite good (Again, kudos mom).

Are there any questions?
Did you think that the first show you would see was going to be a musical?
No.
Don't you know all of the lines to Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
Yes.
Did you make T watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail the night before the show so that she would get the jokes?
Yes
How does one get to be her age without having seen Holy Grail?
I have no idea.
Was Spamalot still hilarious for both of you?
Absolutely.
Did all of the octogenarians at the matinée showing know what they were getting into?
I'm guessing not...
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European
Do you, in fact, have any cheese at all?
Sadly, there was no reference to that skit in the musical. And yes, I'll see what I can scrounge up.


That's enough of that silliness. Spamalot has something for everyone. It has old jokes, new jokes, French tauntings, migratory coconuts, men in drag, the Lady of the Lake and the Laker Girls (some of whom had huge.... tracks of land), Tim the Enchanter, the Black Knight, and pretty damn good music (it even had the song that goes like this). All in all it was a great show, as would be expected.


After the show, we all went to Sevilla for some ridiculously good Spanish food and sangria. The highlights of the meal included the potatoes bravas, the mussels with chorizo (or so I am told), paella, and my mom drinking entirely too much sangria.


At the end of the day, an excellent time was had by all. Thanks again for reading, and remember: always look on the bright side of life**
-N





*Actually, yes. I would. The punchline is: "They both feel good until you realize that you're f***ing yourself." That one gets me every time. (Sorry mom)
**Go ahead. Click on the link and try not to whistle that song to yourself all day.

1 comment:

  1. I've listened to your dad's raunchy jokes for 32 years or so. I can take it. But thanks for the consideration and thanks for the kudos. I'll take em when I can get em!

    ReplyDelete