Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

#78: Check out a book

This isn't the first time I've checked out a book (or books) from the library since we made the list. I didn't post about the book I checked out for my Jan Term Urban Food Justice class - Food Not Lawns- which totally changed the way I look at lawns and other spaces full of non-edible plants.

This past week I checked out these four books at the Moraga Library for a group project in one of my teaching classes. We are supposed to select a genre and 5 books that fall in that category for different elementary reading levels. My group has chosen the "Bibliotherapy" genre because we have all experienced things in our lives that we believe literature has helped us through or helped us relate to others. So far, I have found these four books. #1- The Higher Power of Lucky is a chapter book about a little girl who looses her mother, #2: A Terrible Thing Happened is a picture book about a little raccoon boy who witnesses a "terrible thing" and the memory of that "terrible thing" begins to impact his emotions, behavior at school and even his dreams, #3 Bridge to Terabithia (now a motion picture) is a beautiful story about friendship and the death of a friend, #4 Imagine Me on a Sit-Ski! is a picture book about a little boy who has cerebral palsy, who is given the opportunity to ski at a ski resort with some of his other classmates who also have physical disabilities. This one hits close to home... I've spent many summers volunteering with an amazing disabled waterski camp at Long Beach's Marine Stadium through the Casa Colina Rehab Facility. And I'm still looking for book #5....

Cheers! -T

No comments:

Post a Comment